Thesis04-Inrtoduction & Research Scope

Introduction
This blog mainly introduces the problems or interesting materials I found when I wrote the introduction and research scope.

Process
The layout of my thesis is still based on Iva’s, but I didn’t write anything in the abstract. I think there is nothing in my mind at this time. I neither have the idea of ​​exploring, nor have I come to a reasonable conclusion. So I decided to fill in this after finishing the thesis.

However, I want to specify acknowledgements! As I showed in the picture, I am especially grateful to three types of people: my family, my friends and my mentor.

The first is my family. In fact, my parents don’t know what I am studying. They only know that this is what I am interested in and want to do. So they only provide assistance in life when I am studying, and try not to disturb me when I encounter difficulties.

The second is my friend. Actually there are a lot of friends who helped me, but I’m just very grateful to Rebecca and Yu, the former helped me download the Chinese papers I need on the paper website, and the latter guided me on how to express my views. Let my thesis go on smoothly. Of course, I also want to thank other friends, who have shared the knowledge with me in my graduate course and used it in my thesis.

The third is my mentor Luke. Although he is no longer my mentor, the knowledge he imparted to me is the biggest gain in my graduate program. I can analyze the principles of animation with a basis here because he patiently shared them with me. I also hope that Luke can develop better and become an excellent animator like Luke.

What I wrote at the beginning of the paper has troubled me for a long time. On the one hand, I hope I can cite an example to arouse readers’ interest. On the other hand, it seems good to show a new game technology. Finally, I thought about the demo of UE5 I watched last year. At that time, I was very excited. I think using the introduction in the video as the beginning of the paper should be a good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZnM7CH-v4&t=575s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw&t=1s

I keep emphasizing that I will pay more attention to 3D game animation, because my research fields including Breath of the Wild are all 3D, which is more related to my major.

If you haven’t watched Battlezone (Atari, 1981) and 3D Monster Maze (J. K. Greye, 1982), I think you can take a look at these two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctr54kopo8I&t=41s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf4jdRbCuk
Even from the current perspective, I think these two games are so cool! Under technical limitations, 3D effects can be demonstrated through the principle of perspective!

I haven’t actually played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I just want to check out what the first three-dimensional work of Zelda’s series looks like. I didn’t expect it to be a game that has received almost 100% praise! This makes me want to experience it in my free time! I didn’t mention in the paper that Ocarina of Time created a new way to play arpg, including locking enemies, which appeared in many games, such as The Witcher III.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJIVLN8E68&t=1532s

In Area of ​​Modern Game Animation, I refer to Jonathan Cooper’s classification. I originally wanted to make a gameplay animation as an example for the third chapter, but my technical ability was not enough, so I used a ready-made game. What I look forward to most in this area is NPCs animation, which sounds strange indeed. But I believe that our interaction with NPCs will be more real than our interaction with avatars, if we think we are avatars. At least I’m in Breath of the Wild. I like to interact with animals. I’ll find a way to eavesdrop on what the girls sitting in the bar are discussing. I know that it’s not easy to achieve this with the current technology, unless a lot of extras are made. Animation. But I look forward to the future of NPCs will be smarter.

I regret that I didn’t really use the mocap system. This was the most anticipated course before I came to LCC, but it was suspended due to the epidemic. I hope I can get in touch with it in my future work, instead of learning about it from the video.

Similarly, now I am still new to unreal engine and I am not good at procedural animation. But I have seen the possibility of its development in the game industry. Maybe when I improve my animation skills, I will learn programming languages ​​and increase my skills.

The hardest thing to explain immersion is that I have to read psychology books, which is something I don’t want to waste time. So I thought about a way to use game feel or attraction instead of immersion. In fact, feel is a subjective behavior. I can’t completely say that the player is attracted to the game by immersing in it, but in some cases I think it can be replaced. So I will continue to replace the word immersion in the following narrative.

Conclusion
I spent a lot of time writing these two chapters because I am still getting used to the way I write the thesis. Before writing them, I also asked about the specific content of Yu literature review and discussion. She told me to make my article as reasonable as possible. In addition to quoting other people’s words, I also need to think about whether they are right or not, and give my own reasons whether they are right or wrong.

This entry was posted in Thesis. Bookmark the permalink.