Week10 – Summary

Project introduction

This time the collaborative project was created by me. I hope to make an overwatch-style character and make her move. Because I have no experience in this area, I asked Yann, Sean, Yu, Zhu to work on this project with me. Yann and Sean’s collaborative project last semester did character animation. I believe their experience can help me.

Project aims

1. Design an overwatch-style character.

2. A preliminary understanding and experience of the next-generation game production process and learning new software.

3. Import model with animation to Unreal engine.

Process

Story design

Real name: Maha Dlamini, Age: 28

Occupation: Hunter

Base of Operations: Numbani

Affiliation: None

Maha can either choose to use a bird-head knife to attack the enemy in stealth movement at close range, or let it cause extremely high damage to the enemy like a boomerang. At the same time, the violent blow arrows and the high-speed moving hunting slam that can make the enemy attack teammates can also give the enemy a berserk darts.

Character design (Photoshop, SAI)

Modeling (Maya, ZBrush, Marvelous designer)

Unfolding UV (RizomUV)

Texturing (Substance painter)

Rigging (Maya)

Animating (Maya)

Rendering (Maya)

Gains

1. Story design: This is the first time I have collected so much information to understand an unknown culture. I believe that inspiration is the most important thing. For example, when I saw my classmate Mariana, I wanted to be a girl with cool hair. Then after I decided that she was African, I started searching for information about Africa. And integrate it into overwatch.

2. Character design: This is the first time I have created a character based on a silhouette, and I have shown several of my works like a relatively complete commercial project, although I drew it again. By the way, this is also the first time I design a mechanical device. It really requires a lot of experience, even if I can only design relatively simple works. But I think this is a simulation of my business project.

3. Modeling: With the help of Yann and Sean, I avoided many problems that I might encounter. First of all, this is the first time I have used the basic functions in ZBrush to sculpt a complete character with hard surfaces. Second, I have a new understanding of Maya’s modeling. I will use the function of deform menu and pivot reorientation to help me model. Third, I initially learned to use marvelous designer to help me create fabrics. Although this software is simple, it is very powerful! The skirt of my character can be created only by drawing a 2D layout. Finally, I initially learned Xgen to help me convert definition to polygons.

4. Unfolding UV: I learned a powerful software here: RizomUV. Of course, I also use Maya’s UV tool. In addition to learning software, I also learned how to unfold human (soft surface) UV, including head, hands, feet and so on.

5. Texturing: I have learned Substance painter completely-before this I almost used photoshop to draw textures. I learned about the PBR process through this software. In addition, I can initially analyze the material I want to refer to and create it by changing the parameters in the substance painter.

6. Rigging: I didn’t participate in rigging, but I learned that rig is divided into animation rig and game rig after the problem that it cannot be exported. Because my friend did not choose the game engine, there was a problem with the face rig. This is also my experience in future rigging.

7. Animating: This is how I use mocap animation in the actual project. I can assign definition and custom rig very quickly, and bake my animation.

8. Rendering: If I used Arnold in the performance animation of the first semester, my work would not be so blurry. But now I can simply render good results.

Regrets

1. Design: Because of time, I did not continue to improve my character design.

2. Bugs: Although I have checked many times, there are still some bugs in my animation. Such as model breaking, UV problem, rigging problem.

3. Hair: Assign opacity textures because of UV failed.

4. Animating: Because of time limitation and rigging problem, I did not add details to my mocap animation.

5. Exporting: I failed to import my project in UE4! This is the most regrettable thing! ! ! But we tried and it was enough.

6. Modeling: I have no experience in creating high-poly models and bake normal map to create details. Other than that, I hardly studied topology.

Communication

Special thanks to Yann, who used his rich project experience to help me avoid many problems. In addition, when I encounter a problem in each process, I will always help me solve it myself. He will also give some suggestions to make our work better.

Then I want to thank Sean and Yu. After I send them every work, they always actively discuss with me how I should improve and encourage me.

Finally, I would like to thank Zhu for giving me a lot of help in game design. For example, he tried many ways to import my model in UE4, and he also helped me to check where my files had problems. When I asked him about UE, he could quickly send me relevant links for me to learn.

Final output

Extra Project

This is Zhu’s project. Although I only created twenty-eight wands and adjusted animations in it, I am proud of participating in this project!

Prospects

I think I have come out of Novice Village, because I have roughly experienced the flow of next-generation game production, and then I will try to bind my model myself to make it as possible as possible to be imported into UE4.

Secondly, I will learn UE4 and Zhu will help me.

Finally, I will remake an animation suitable for Maha, which is also my FPM.

Conclusion

I have written the conclusion nine times, but I believe this will not be the last, just like my collaborative project and learning path will never stop. I am very fortunate to meet so many outstanding classmates, discuss and share experiences together, and broaden each other’s horizons. I hope we can all continue to make progress and realize our dreams.

This entry was posted in Collaborative unit: Game Character. Bookmark the permalink.