Performance Animation 08 – QA & Suggestions

Introduction

Finally, I don’t need to adjust my animation anymore. What is the reason? I will post it below. This is very important because it is a very important point that Luke hopes I can improve.

Process

Before starting to modify the animation, I first post the question I asked and the answer Luke gave me:

Q1: In the graph editor, when I move the time axis, I will locate decimals instead of integers, which is inconvenient for me to key frames.

A1: If the graph editor is snapping to points then you need to turn off point snap which is the buttons here:

Q2: Sometimes I can’t Ctrl+Z! This was there when I created my performance animation project, and I couldn’t adjust it casually, because my operation would not be redo.

A2: if you cannot ctrl Z make sure your undo option is turned on in the preferences menu:

Q3: What is Euler filter?

A3: Euler filter is an algorithym which looks for where rotational axis have crossed in order to accomodate an angle they are on. The most common way of visualising a need for euler filter is when you see a red blue or green curve cross one of the others drastically causing your animation to rotate in weird ways.

Q4: When moving elbow controllers, do I need to adjust both translate XYZ? Do you have any good suggestions on this?

A4: For elbow controllers yes you will always need to key all axis of XYZ as the pole vector will be in world space so this will need to continuously be wherever the elbow should be aimed. There are no shortcuts in animation.

Then, this is Luke’s last review:

Hi Lucy, looking at this now it is getting smoother and looking nice and clean. The only thing that stands out now is it feels too floaty. Have you stood up and filmed your body doing these movements. It feels like the timing isnt based on real motion so this is why it is feeling floaty.

There are two different things I would recommend here:

1. Film yourself (with your full body in shot) doing this acting performance and get the timing of these poses from this.

2. Film yourself (with your full body in shot)  and animate the sequence with the new reference from scratch. This will be easier as it will mean less cleaning up of keys and you already will have a good idea of how this should be moving based on the animation work you have already done.

The final option would be to leave this animation where it is and move on to another piece of animation to clear your mind and come back to this in the future.

The choice is entirely yours however I would say it is probably best to move on to another animation as I would guess you are probably pretty tired of this one.

Trust me we all have animations like this where we struggle to keep moving forwards with it and more than often it is easier to start again rather than try to clean it up for weeks on end.

Conclusion

Although I admit that I am very tired to adjust this animation, but it cannot be denied that the mistakes and experience he brought to me are very useful for my future animations. Of course I agree with what Luke said, instead of adjusting the same animation all the time, I can make a new one. I also believe that after these few reviews, my animation will get better and better in the future.

This entry was posted in Advanced and Experimental 3D Computer Animation. Bookmark the permalink.