Week6 – Modeling

Introduction

This week I am still modeling. I was too optimistic before and felt that I could complete this model very quickly. To be honest, I spend a lot of time modeling every day, and even dream that I am modeling O(∩_∩)O. Sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy. But my teammates and friends like my model very much, which is also the motivation for me to continue to do it.

Process

Why do I need to put the arm behind to complete it, because it is relatively simple, and I learned through this model, I don’t need to make all the faces, and delete the places that are not visible, otherwise it will take up memory.

The knee device did not take me a lot of time. I have built a model for a week, and the general method is also clear. Again, we must see if there is symmetry! In order to avoid this problem, I only make half of the model, and the other half is generated by copying.

Then I downloaded a model of slippers in Sketchfab. Only the bottom of this slippers was used to extract the front end of the shoe in Maya. Then I drew a new design drawing and created a heel jet device. I have to say that Maya’s non-linear is really easy to use.

Then I started making hair again! To be honest, before this, I used at least three or four methods to make it, but I didn’t have a screenshot, but fortunately, with the help of Yann, I successfully sculpted a hair and ZRemesher. Especially interesting, I really made a model out of paper towels and sculpted it according to the model I made!

The rest of the model has skirts and hair. On Yann’s recommendation, I went to learn marvelous designer, which is a software for making clothes, which is very simple. After watching the instructional video, I also tried to design a dress by myself. Although it was a bit small and the model couldn’t fit it, it was a good attempt!

But when I started making skirts, I ran into a small problem. I don’t know how to design the skirts so that they are the same as the design drawings! I found a video about how to design a warp skirt on YouTube, but it uses two pieces of cloth to wrap the body, and Maha’s skirt only needs one piece of cloth!

So I thought for a long time, and finally drew the required 2D design drawings. However, without support, once I activate the simulation, the skirt will fall down. In other words, I cannot activate the simulation and use the model displayed in the 3d viewer directly.

As a result, I also encountered a problem with the export-the obj file could not be imported by Maya. But when I look up the information, others can export it, but my steps are the same as theirs but I can’t succeed. Finally I exported the fbx file. 1112

At this time, my model is basically complete! I contacted Sean, he is good at modeling, he can help me check the model and give suggestions.

Sean was surprised that I didn’t sculpt a high-quality model, but directly created a low-quality model through move and smooth. I said that because I don’t have time to topology, I kept the faces count within 100,000. I gave up going to bake normal map, which means I might lose some details. But I think I can draw the details I need in substance painter.

Yann also came at this time and showed us how he used advance skeleton5 to rig his model. It was so cool!

In addition, he also showed me his shader, which is very handsome when applied to his game model. I also hope that my model has such a shader.

Yann reminded me that my character’s mouth should be closed, because when rigging, if my model’s initial state is with an open mouth, it will be difficult to rig expression. Adjusting points in Maya is not very convenient, so I went back to ZBrush and used my mask to close her mouth.

When I checked the model, I found extra points and faces, which were also deleted. This is not a normal inversion problem, it may be that I did not pay attention and copied multiple models.

The last is the hair. On Maha’s chest and feet, there are hairs for decoration. I want to refer to Doomfist in Overwatch. I thought it was generated directly, but Yann told me that these were all faces and opacity was used.

So he recommended me to use Xgen to make faces. So I checked the information again, made different styles of hair following the instructional video, and finally imported the png file of the drawn hair, and the effect is now!

This is the final result of my model!

Finally, I want to show the design draft that I drew while modeling. Some parts really bothered me for a long time. So I drew a lot of different angles.

Conclusion

This week, in addition to using more features of ZBrush, I also learned a new software, Marvelous designer! This is my favorite game Just dance also used to make cloth software! I think it will be widely used in the game industry in the future! In addition, I learned a standard game character production process from Sean, and also learned new rigging knowledge and simplified game character production process from Yann. In Maya, I also used guides to create Xgen faces again, and learnt new knowledge made me very happy!

This entry was posted in Collaborative unit: Game Character. Bookmark the permalink.