Week5 – Modeling

Introduction

In this week, I officially started modeling, because most of the characters are designed by me, so I know how to do the details of my characters. Of course, when I was modeling, Sean and Yann would also assist me (they had to complete the cooperation project with Karl).

Process

Before I make a model, I have to thank my classmate Marianna. She has been sharing some cool models with us. I found the model I needed on the website she provided. It just so happens that the model is the genius girl I wrote about when I introduced Maha-Efi. Thank you Marianna for sharing.

The modeling method I used was what Yann told me. He did it in his last cooperation project. First find an initial model, and then modify it into his own character through ZBrush’s move brush. This not only saves construction Model time can also save topology time. I have to say that this model is great, not only in line with Ooverwatch-style, but also in line with the binding required for animation. It is also the first time that I have studied such a model so seriously.

According to what I learned in the instructional video I watched last week, I can import the background image into ZBrush and directly reference the image in this software to model, but in fact I found that this is very inconvenient, and the white background color will It interfered with my judgment on the shape of the model, so after determining the scale of the model, I gave up this method.

At this time Maha’s body size has been determined, and I must have started to modify his face. At any time, I remind myself that the symmetric mode must be turned on, because Sean’s project has a problem with the binding due to the asymmetry of the model.

It’s too easy for me to modify the face shape by using the move brush. Maha’s face is very distinctive, not exactly the same as Efi, she will be more mature, so I made her cheekbones more prominent, chin sharper, and nose more Prominent, the face is longer, so it doesn’t look like Efi at all.

I also tried sculpting hair. I first create a ball, move the shape of the head, and then use ClayBuildUp to sculpt it. But the final result is very bad, and I don’t have a better way to sculpt a hairstyle like Efi. I am going to ask Yann tomorrow to see if he has a good way.

Move to the model of the body. I think the rough shape is fine, but the faces count is too small and the model looks rough. I used Extract in ZBrush to extract two breastplates and modify their shapes. Then I built a model of the belt in Maya. Because I knew that the head on the belt would not be deformed, I directly combined different models. The task of this day is completed.

The next day, I started to adjust the model of the legs. At first I wanted the legs and hips to be connected together, so I tried to connect the points in Maya, but I found that I should connect the feet and legs together. So I used a brush, IMM human, created legs and feet in ZBrush, and then modified the shape by looking at the reference pictures.

Then I started creating jetpacks, which are the most overwatch-style. I made a large one first, but it was too ugly and I was very dissatisfied. Although it looked good on the design drawings, it didn’t look so good after 2d became 3d. In the end, I gave up the model that took a few hours to make.

On the third day, I went to watch a new instructional video about hard surface mechanical modeling. The teacher said a lot of basic but practical modeling methods, which I didn’t know before! I feel that although the production time of my project is getting shorter and shorter, it is fortunate to be able to watch this video in a few more hours. This can increase my modeling speed.

In addition, I found a skin from Orisa in the overwatch, and its back fits the style I want. But I don’t know how to create an arched model. I also decided to ask Yann and Sean about this question.

Next I am going to create the mechanical legs. I have found a good way in advance to cut and create the effect I want in Zbrush.

I can finally ask Yann my question. On the hair, he showed me how he created the hair with the curve, but this is not suitable for my model. I can use ClayBuildeUp to draw the shape I need, and then use ZRemesher to redistribute my mesh. In addition, I can use Lattice to modify the shape of the model.

After that, I successfully made my jetpack and learned topology by the way. After chamfering and extruding, the model of my jetpack is complete. I also created some small parts directly in ZBrush, which enriched the details of the model!

In the group meeting, we shared the models and materials we made separately. Yu shared with us a plug-in that can turn models with high faces count into low poly in Maya. Anyway, my model was appreciated by the team members!

Conclusion

Although I haven’t used ZBrush for a long time, I didn’t have too much difficulty in using the software because of the review in advance. However, this is my first time making human models and hard surfaces, so I will not create some models. Fortunately, there are teaching videos on the Internet, and my teammates also helped me, allowing me to create models in more ways. Now I have learned to use the functions of Zbrush (IMM, ZRemesher, etc.), to topological in Maya, to create hair, and to simply make hard surfaces. This also allows me to better understand the relationship between the model and the binding and animation!

This entry was posted in Collaborative unit: Game Character. Bookmark the permalink.