Week1 – Introduction & Preparation

Introduction

Now, we have officially started class. In class, Luke told us that we need to do a new cooperative project this semester, or continue to do the previous cooperative project. Because I am still interested in game and animation, I plan to make a game animation.

Process

Last semester, although the VR game I participated in was very successful, I learned new modeling knowledge and rigging knowledge in it, but I didn’t learn anything new in animation. So I hope I can continue to explore the production process of 3D animation in the game.

Because I especially like playing Overwatch, fortunately, I saw this video:

In it, he described how overwatch shows the charm of the characters in FPS. For example, there is a lame hero Junkrat inside. In his idle and walking, we can see that he is an impatient and inconvenient person to walk. These can be seen only through arms and weapons.

Seeing this, I was thinking, why don’t I form a team, we design an Overwatch-style hero together, and then I will make him an animation that fits the character’s personality? In addition, Iā€™m still planning, if I have time, I can even make a Play of the Game (the highlight animation in overwatch), this sounds cool!

With a general idea, I started looking for team members. Because in the last semester, I learned that Sean and Yann made their own characters and used them to make animations. They have rich experience, so I invited them to join my group to help me. In addition, Yu said that she is willing to help me render my animation because she wants to study lighting and rendering. Finally, since what I want to make is an in-game animation, I invited Zhu to provide us with in-game technical support.

So my team members are determined:

Lucy

Yu

Sean

Yann

Zhu (Game Design)

Next, in our simple group meeting, I expressed my thoughts on the role. First, she is an African woman with the hairstyle of Mariana (my classmate). Second, she is a character holding a double axe. Everyone thinks this is okay, but we still need to discuss what skills this role requires.

The next day, when I was on the subway, I imagined my role. She should be a hunter, hunting her prey in the grasslands of Africa. Then the character should look strong and good at hiding herself. So she has a skill that should be able to move quickly, even stealth to reach the enemy’s vicinity. In addition, she should have stronger mobility, so I plan to let her climb and stay on the wall. Finally, I thought of playing Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation. I hope she has a weapon that uses a blowpipe to blow berserk darts to opponent, which would cause a target to attack their mates within close range. Even this can be used as the ultimate of this hero.

But Yann believes that my character’s normal attack (left button) needs to be done at close range, but the ultimate requires the character to attack the enemy at a long distance, which makes the character’s skill set look too strange. He gave me the example of Tracer from Overwatch, and explained to me how her three skills work together and are particularly suitable.

So I turned this skill into an E button, and Ultimate became a hero like a cheetah, pounced on his enemy. Specifically, it should be able to knock down the enemy and attack like the Hunter in Left 4 Dead 2.

At the end of the discussion, I think the general character and background of the character have come out, and we need to see how we can improve the character and skills of the character.

I told Luke our thoughts, and Luke said it sounds cool.

Conclusion

I am particularly confident in our team and communication and cooperation capabilities, because in the last semester, we helped each other to complete everyone’s projects. Although this week was only the beginning of looking for group members and discussing the direction of the project, I realized that it is not easy to design a role. Because her background will affect her character, and her character will affect her behavior. These are inseparable, I also know that I want to make this character, I have to consult a lot of information. Fortunately, my team members will discuss with me what our role should be like.

This entry was posted in Collaborative unit: Game Character. Bookmark the permalink.