Week4 – Modeling & Bend shape & Substance Painter

Introduction

This week, Yu and I made three poster models first, and waited for other students to complete the debugging of our scene model in Unity.

Task:

Complete three poster models.

Process

I want to thank Yann for his help. Although he is not my partner, he has provided us with a lot of reference and technical support. For example, our poster was originally made in 2D, but he showed us a nice stylized model, which led my partner to decide to make all 3D models.

Then he told us how to export 3D animation into Unity, including some Unity knowledge. This is especially useful! He even started a stream to show us his models in four software, explaining how he made his models. If you are interested in his model, you can go to his blog to read:

It is worth mentioning that we have been thinking about how to place our models, because our scene may not have such a large space to fit so many poster models. If we want to achieve the above effects, we may need to dig holes in the wall or make multiple game interfaces. But Yann proposed a solution, just like the game “Portal“, set the camera in another location in the same scene, then make a model here, and then connect the camera to the view texture, so that we can watch it in the art gallery where the models are far from it.

I immediately told my partners his thoughts, and they all thought it was great. In this project I can really learn useful knowledge from others, and I am also very happy that I have excellent classmates around me.

Next, I went to work on assignments, and only a few days later I had time to continue making my project. Yu and I decided to make three posters of wine bottle, black shadow, and panda first. I am responsible for the first two, and the panda at the back is more complicated, so she is responsible. As long as we work together, we will enter our Discord channel. This is convenient for us to communicate and show each other works.

According to the method Yu taught me before, I used muti-cut to cut out the edges following the reference picture, and then extruded after deleting the extra faces. I made a version.

But I found a problem. I also made the part of the wine glass. I could not delete the points I wanted to delete.

Yann just entered the channel and I asked him if my model is qualified. His suggestion was to reduce the faces as much as possible and arrange the lines again at the joints that need to be animated. In order to make me understand, he also specially drew a picture for me. I made another version based on his teaching, because I know that learning knowledge is more important than completing the model.

Of course, in order to make the model softer, I have to add more lines and points.

I originally planned to use Blend Shape to make this simple animation, and then I will try to bind some models on my own posters. Because I learned Maya’s Animation in the last holiday, and also updated my self-study blog:

https://lucylueng.myblog.arts.ac.uk/2021/01/06/210106-animation-blend-shape%e8%9e%8d%e5%90%88%e5%8f%98%e5%bd% a2/

So not only did I make it myself quickly, but also let Yu read it, she also learned it, and made a very cute panda! If you are interested in her production process, you can read her blog:

Back to my model, I first produced an animated version, and the effect was not bad.

Then I started to make wine glasses and types, which was relatively simple. But I have a little trouble, because I cannot find the high-definition version of this poster, I can only input sentences by my own guesses, which may cause problems with individual words. So, I especially hope that the school can give us a high-resolution big picture as a reference when arranging the assignment.

But I feel that my animation is still not vivid enough, maybe because I only move my arms and head. So I also moved my shoulder and bow a bit, and now the final output looks much better!!! I also showed it to Yu and Yann and they both thought it was great.

I put the gif in WeChat, and Zhu proposed his idea of ​​animation. He wanted my animation to be played in reverse. I think it is okay, but I hope more students can make comments.

Now I started to make wine bottles. I used a very old method, which was to draw a curve and then revolve it. As a result, I found that the wine bottle was black and the reverse normal was useless. This embarrassed me, so I had to ask Sean, and we found out that it was just because I was Nurbs instead of Polygon. I just need to convert it and reverse normal.

Other models are easy to make, but I have not used substance painter yet, so Yann (because Yu did not have time at the time) used the Team viewer to explain the simple usage to me. Then I am happy to draw my stickers!

I also know that my drawing is not very proficient, and I believe that when I do the following models, I will be able to draw them proficiently. Because I have already started watching SP’s instructional video!

I imported the painted textures into Maya and it looks good! Even if there is a color difference, I believe that the effect will be better after unity adjusts the light!

Conclusion

In this week, the task was not very complicated, but I learned a lot of new knowledge! There are also game design and VR students who are debugging our scene model. They have made good results, and they have listened to my opinions, and are choosing a more suitable Skydome and hand model. We must continue to work hard to complete our project!

This entry was posted in Collaborative unit: VR game, Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.