Week1 – Introduction & Preparation

Introdution

We started a cooperative project this semester. To be honest, I haven’t carried out a cooperation project for two years, so I am especially looking forward to this cooperation project. The cooperation project requires us and students from other majors to design and produce a work together with our respective professional technology, in which we have to learn from other students, and we can also teach other things animation. Soon, through the recommendation of Luke and classmates, I was lucky to find a satisfactory cooperation group.

Task:

Join a group and find partner.

Make sure the project topic.

Process

After the class, I thought that since I like playing games, I would try game animation, which can also correspond to my report. So I asked Luke directly, and he sent me a connection, hoping I would check it out first.

So I saw this in padlet:

This fully meets my needs! Honestly, I was thinking of a cooperative project for games and a cooperative project for VR. Now this project can cover both of them. I immediately contacted Wu. After introducing myself, I successfully entered this group.

So we have five people finally:

3D Computer Animation: Lucy and Yu

Game Design:  Zhuo zhu and Zhijian Jiang

VR: Jianxin Wu

This is Byron’s initial thoughts on our game:

The project is going to create a VR puzzle game, based on Tom Eckersley’s posters. The inspiration came from Cubism VR (https://www.cubism-vr.com/). The player will need to grab and place pieces of puzzles into the right place to complete a poster. The poster may have more interaction or animation after completion. The posters constitute an exhibit of Tom Eckersley’s work at the end of the game, with background illustrations.

We finally decided to combine the three professional technologies of 3D Computer Animation, Game Design, and VR to create a VR game of the art gallery. In the design of art gallery, we will also consider designing interactive posters.

Because I am a museum lover, I like to see exhibitions in museums or art galleries, so I think I can help our games in art.

Let me introduce Tom Eckersley:

Tom Eckersley (1914-1997) was one of the foremost graphic designers of the twentieth century working in the UK. His works employ minimal text, instead transmitting their message by pared-down graphic elements and bold blocks of colour.

Eckersley was also a teacher and established the first graphic design course in the UK at what was then called the London College of Printing (now London College of Communication).

The charm in many of Eckersley’s works is their ability to convey a strong message through a simple design. The Collection shows how he developed his designs, as it includes artworks and preparatory designs as well as finished pieces. The Collection came from Eckersley’s own workshop and as such reflects what he kept, partly to be used as teaching aids. The Collection has been fully digitised and is being posted in batches on the Visual Arts Data Service website.

Conclusion

We will discuss in detail the selection of posters and the interactive design of 3D animation and games technology in our work next week. Though I used to make some small game by myself, this is the first time I have cooperated with classmates majoring in Game and VR. I believe that I will learn some new knowledge in this cooperative project, and more importantly, the ability to communicate with group students.

Reference:

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/features/nov08.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Eckersley

This entry was posted in Collaborative unit: VR game. Bookmark the permalink.