Performance Animation 1- Reference & Performance

Introduction

This is the final assignment of my 3d fundamental animation. We need to record the video ourselves and key frames according to the video. Before this, I watched a lot of performances and clips produced by excellent animators, but when I saw a section in Hotel Transylvania III: Dracula jumped up Macarena which is a famous song all over the world to the music, especially when he twisted his ass, I just Decided to challenge myself and make a video about dancing.

Tips:

1. When performing, you must choose the best time.

2. Be sure to buy a tripod, otherwise it will take a lot of time for me to fix the camera.

3. Master the timing when performing.

Problems:

1. Without tripod.
  2. Because I have practiced many times, there is no energy to record when I actually record.
  3. The expression is not well mastered.

Process

When I was making a portfolio, I performed performances to gain an understanding of the characters’ movements. But I believe it would be better to learn more about the performances of experienced animators. So, I watched many animators’ performances online. For example, in the performances in Frozen, the performers are so sure about their movements and timing! I watched it at least five or six times!

Since I chose to do dance, in terms of dance types, I chose voguing, an underground dance developed in the gay community in New York. It includes gestures, spin, fall, duck jump. I saw this dance in just dance. I think the movements in it are particularly suitable for expressing the softness of the human body, so I downloaded it and followed to learn.

To be honest, because I have recorded at least a dozen times and I have not counted the time for practice, I was a little tired at that time, and some movements were not perfect at first. In addition, I am not a professional dancer and cannot make some natural waves in it. So I not only referenced my own video, but also the original video.

When I checked my expression later, I thought it was not vivid enough, so I re-recorded it in the later stage and only had expression on one side. Half a month ago, I studied the expressions of Chaplin and the animators in the Boss Baby, but I have no experience and it is difficult to express my emotions in time, but I try my best to exaggerate the expressions and mouth shapes.

For this reason, I moved the mirror to the table, which is more conducive for me to see how my mouth shape changes.

Conclusion

Although what I did may not be good enough, I did this assignment very hard. I chose to perform dancing this time, but I hope that after finishing this task, I can do another performance animation to improve my animation and performance skills.

This entry was posted in 3D Computer Animation Fundamentals. Bookmark the permalink.