Week4: Stylised walk animation & Talk about rigging

Talk about rigging

In fact, I have not been learning 3D animation for very long, but I have been learning simple rigging. However, because this course used so much new knowledge in MAYA, I did not understand details of why I did it, so I did not fully understand how to rig.

But with a little bit of rigging experience, it seems to me that a good rig does not necessarily require more controllers, but more suitable controllers. For example, as a student animation, it may be difficult for us to achieve complicated animation production like Disney’s, which requires a rigging suitable for students — a main controller, controllers for various parts of the body, and more importantly, a converter for IK and FK. For example, this is a model with bindings that I have been using recently, and I think it is a good model.

looking at the foot controller, there are four channels that control the foot. This gives me the option not only to lift the heel, but also to lift the toes, which is very easy to animate.

In addition, the model has a lot of controllers on it, so I can choose different gestures, even if some of the values are turned up, which will break the model.

What is more surprising to me is that this rigging can really show the cowboy character in many props, such as scarves and hats.

I have not had a bad rigging yet, but I am sure there is something wrong with a model that can be broken with just a little adjustment. For example, I just used a rig in my portfolio. Although I like his facial rigging very much, it was enough for most expressions in the student animation. But in some of the folds, moving the controller a little bit will puncture the model.

For example, if I do not put his eyelids down, I cannot close his eyes, and the whites of his eyes still show. Or if I moved bigger his legs, his pants would rip and look awkward. In general, I think a bad model should be one in which the weights controlled by the controller are inaccurate, resulting in non-standard actions and even damage to the model.

Since I have learned rigging, I have a little experience in it. I still remember I just kept rigging insects and getting familiar with the difference between IK and FK. The biggest problem is that I often make mistakes in constraints. Before Luke taught me, I was not very clear about parent, point, Orient, scale, and point Vector, and I followed what the teacher taught me. For example, I do not know why it is necessary to put objects into a group and then constrain them any differently than it is to constrain them directly. Probably the most interesting thing I think is the paint weight, just like the painting, where each point controls where it needs to be controlled.

Maybe In the future I will also try to learn how to rig models simply, after all, having more knowledge is not a bad thing.

This entry was posted in 3D Computer Animation Fundamentals. Bookmark the permalink.